I'm looking out my office window at blue skies and frozen, frosty ground. I keep thinking about how it's January now, and I really should work on dropping those few extra pounds Christmas gave me.
But it's soooo hard to eat healthy when it's cold!
30 degree days call for warmth and comfort!
Good news: I have a compromise! (Sometimes compromise is good... like "yes, child you may play video games for hours so i can work uninterrupted." TWO whole weeks of winter break is a very long time)!
So, this salad. It's a compromise in a good way.
Starting with the fact that it's a salad (lettuce! healthy!), but also because it includes warmth and comfort.
Buffalo hot sauce?
These ingredients pack so much flavor, you only need them in small amounts, which keeps this salad from being a calorie bomb.
Here's the other happy thing about it: it's a perfect gameday recipe (go Hawks)! You know, hot wings and blue cheese dip and all that?
Make this instead.
Pile a big bowl full of lettuce, celery, carrots, and then top with the buffalo marinated tofu and crumbled blue cheese- it's a win-win.
Comfort food taste, but New Year's resolution friendly.
Buffalo Tofu Salad – serves 6
1 package extra firm tofu, cubed or sliced thin
1/2 cup hot sauce (such as Marshall's Haute Sauce or Franks)
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound mixed greens (kale, lettuce, arugula etc.)
2 cups celery, thinly sliced
1-2 carrots, grated
6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (or crumbled tofu)
1/2 cup mayo (I used this recipe)
1/2 teaspoon tahini
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (taste and add till right)
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (taste and add till right)
1. Combine hot sauce, coconut oil, vinegar and garlic powder in a medium sized bowl. Add tofu and set aside to marinate for about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees while the tofu marinates. Place tofu on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Turn tofu over and bake for additional 10-15 minutes or until tofu begins to caramalize.
3. Remove tofu from the oven and place into the bowl with the hot sauce marinade. Toss to coat and let sit.
4. While tofu is baking, combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Taste as you add the lemon juice and vinegar until you get the "tang" you like.
5. Place greens, celery and blue cheese in a large bowl. Add tofu and dressing. If you like a little more heat, add some of the remaining Buffalo marinade to your salad.
253 calories, 21g fat, 7g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 10g protein
*Thank you to Wild Hare Organic Farm for many of the local & seasonal produce we are able to use in our recipes.