PB & J could well be one of the greatest combos ever invented. How many of you, like me, are reminded of childhood when you think of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (crunchy Adam's peanut butter from a gallon bucket??)
A good PB & J sandwich was one of the only sandwiches that I wanted in my school lunch. I remember the three brown paper bags our mom lined up on the kitchen counter for us every morning before school (she was always terrific about putting our favorites in those bags- all stuff from the co-op, but we didn't know any different).
The 3rd best way to eat peanut butter (1st being straight up on a spoon, second the PB & J sandwich), is a good (soft) peanut butter cookie.
And this recipe combines all three!
Why did this not occur to us sooner??
This PB & J sandwich cookie is going to fast become a favorite- we've taken a soft peanut butter cookie and filled it with a layer each of peanut butter and jelly.
My niece and nephew love a good PB cookie but aren't always fans of PB & J sandwiches...
Are they even related to me?
Have iconic favorites lost their touch?
If your kids are like my niece and nephew, make a few of these sandwich cookies with only the peanut butter filling. Then, make a whole bunch with both the PB & J (for the grown-ups in the house, ooooor just for yourself), grab a glass of your favorite milk, and remember the great things about childhood.
All this in honor of today - National Peanut Butter & Jelly day!
Could we celebrate this day more than just once a year?
I think we should.
PB & J Sandwich Cookies
1. Cream butter, vanilla and peanut butter in a medium bowl or stand mixer.
2. Add maple syrup and egg. Mix to combine.
3. Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. Chill batter for 15-30 minutes, the batter will be soft and quite sticky. Alternatively, you can use a scoop or two spoons to put the batter onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
5. Preheat oven to 375.
6. Roll cookie dough into small balls, place onto a lightly greased baking sheet and then flatten.
7. Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes or until puffed and browned on the bottom. Place onto a cooling rack.
PB & J Filling
1. Place first four ingreidents into a small bowl and mix until creamy and smooth.
2. Place jam into the microwave 15-30 seconds and stir until it is melted and drizzely.
3. Spread PB filling onto one cookie, drizzle with jam and then top with a second cookie.