It's been years, and by years I mean YEARS since I've had a classic BLT. But suddenly I was craving a one. The classic BLT needed a lot of modification tho', and I wanted to work with what was in the fridge. The end result? A Two Kitchen Collision version of the BLT.
We replaced the bacon, with smoky marinated tofu and since neither of us like mayo, it was easy to send it packing - instead we got creative and landed on this tasty basil "mayo".
The traditional lettuce has got great crunch but no flavor. Well, only if you like the flavor of water. Arugula was not only in the fridge from our last CSA share, but is also Tab's favorite green leafy veg so, arugula stepped in and WOW! It's a huge upgrade.
Tomatoes are a given and there is no way or reason to swap them out. Plus, we just plain ol' like them.
Last, we added avocado. We know it doesn't belong on a traditional BLT, but...
we've already done away with the traditional.
So we actually made a BATA or BAAT sandwich not a BLT, but trust us, avocado belongs on this sandwich (maybe even all sandwiches??).
Point is, because we wrote the recipe, we got to choose all of our favorite things! We hope you enjoy this creative vegan remake of a classic!
"Bacon" Arugula & Tomato Sandwich - serves 4
1. Do we really need to give sandwich instructions? Yes? Here goes...
2. Spread basil "mayo" on both sides of your toast. Top 1 slice of toast with tomato, avocado, arugula and "bacon". Place the second slice of toast on top, slice in half, take a bite and ENJOY!
1. Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
1 block extra firm tofu, sliced thin
1/4 cup liquid amino's
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine amino's through paprika and whisk to combine. Place tofu in a zip top bag and pour marinade over tofu. Let marinade for 15-20 minutes.
3. Place marinated tofu onto a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, turn and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. You want the tofu to crisp up (it won't crisp up like bacon but you'll love it regardless).
. *Thank you to Wild Hare Organic Farm for many of the local & seasonal produce
we are able to use in our recipes.
*Thank you to Tacoma Tofu for the delicious local tofu we used in our recipe.